Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ode to Lexi

Recently I realized that I have developed an attachment to Lexi that is not unlike a mother to a child. I find myself wondering about her during the day… what’s she doing? Is she lonely? Is she sitting at the window? I find myself worrying about her eating, peeing and pooping habits… did she eat enough? Did she go potty this morning? is she drinking enough water? I find myself watching her sleep on the couch late in the evening before I head to bed wondering… is she dreaming little doggie dreams? Is she chasing a cat or eating a treat? Then I’ll panic because I can’t see her stomach moving anymore so I check to make sure that she’s breathing. Ahhh yes! All of the worries of being a parent. I never had a dog growing up so I wonder if this is how all people feel about their pets. Or am I just projecting the love I so desperately want to give a child onto Lexi? It’s not only me though. John does it too! He lies on the floor with her at night kissing and petting her; telling her she's a pretty girl. He sometimes acts as if his feelings may be hurt because she sleeps snuggled up next to me at night. Last night when he got in bed he actually moved her to his side! He goes home every day at lunch to see her and then calls me with a progress report of what happened even though he knows she would be fine staying there all day. Maybe we don't need a baby because if we're this crazy with the dog then how are we going to be with a sweet, little baby? Haha!

Here's a picture of our little Lexi from this weekend. She came running out of the woods with this HUGE stick. She was so proud of herself wanting John to toss it for her. Isn't she the cutest!!

xxoo,
Jaime

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I can definitely relate to this. I have a Golden Retriever named Wilson. I think of him CONSTANTLY. I had wondered if this was normal. I was talking to my mother in law about him a couple of weeks ago and all of a sudden I saw her looking at me out of the corner of my eye like "you crazy woman, it's a dog" My husband has told her about my infertility issues but she has never asked or talked to me about it so it was kind of a mix between "you crazy woman it's just a dog" and "you pathetic woman-treating a dog like a child you poor thing" I totally saw both quotes in her eyes. I felt like a crazy pathetic woman! But yes ma'am I do love my dog, he is all I have in the world besides my husband that makes me feel whole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute with that stick! I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate too! Rocco is my baby. And it does hurt my feelings when he'd rather sleep on the couch than with me. He's spoiled rotten! Lexi has grown so much!

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10