Friday, January 29, 2010

The End of My Hedge Fund Career

The beginning of my new life!! Every ending leads to a new beginning. I'm excited to see what's in store for me in the future. I can say with 99% certainty that it will not involve a hedge fund! I already have an interview set up for Tuesday and I was chosen for an interview with another company as well. I should find out today when that interview will be.

When we received the news last March that we were going to be laid off sometime between 12/09 and 3/10 it seemed like forever away. I can't believe it's already time to tell everyone goodbye and end this chapter. I'm so lucky that they gave us almost a year notice! We've been penny pinching since we found out so that we would have a nice nest egg. Also, Harbert is giving us 4 months severance. That's really nice! I can't complain with the way things have gone down. I know many people out there have gotten called into an office and told to leave that day with no notice and no severance. I'm thankful for the way things were handled here.

One of the guys in NY sent us this anteater picture. Too funny!

Weirdness: This morning I got on the elevator with Raymond Harbert (yes the man who owns Harbert!) and the Head of HR who will be laying us off today. In the past 2 1/2 years I have never been on the elevator with these men. I felt like this was a sign. Perry (HR guy) nervously looked at me and asked how I was doing. Raymond looked confused (he has no idea who I am). I said I was fine with a big smile and then asked if he was ready for us today. He looked down and sadly said no and that he hates these days. Raymond looked at me like it finally clicked and he got it. I feel a small victory that I put a face on our department. Hopefully he will remember me when he goes over the list of fine people he laid off today.

Final news: Mother Nature came calling last night so I am definitely ready to go for injections starting Sunday! It's almost here! I, of course, got a hormonal migraine yesterday and couldn't fully enjoy the final pit dinner or supper club. Jen took pictures so I'll post them as soon as she sends them to me.

xxoo,
Jaime

1 comment:


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10