Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bang Bang Shrimp... or something like it

This is one of my "new" favorite meals to make. Jess gave me the recipe for Bang Bang Shrimp but I doctored it a little to make it a meal. The real Bang Bang Shrimp is just an appetizer.

You'll need the following ingredients: 3/4 lb shrimp, rice, 3 tbsps veg oil, mayo (I use light), Thai sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, stir fry vegetables, ginger, peanuts, and 2 tbsps of half & half. You'll also need to batter your shrimp. You can use whatever you usually batter but I used 2 tbsp corn meal, 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp bread crumbs mixed with a little salt and pepper.
You can start your rice at any point in the process. I buy regular rice that takes 20 min to cook so I usually start it around the time I'm browning the shrimp. But if you buy minute rice you can wait until the end.




Look at these lovelies. I bought them shelled, deveined and cooked. Then I marinated them in milk for an hour. I removed the tails before battering.

Next mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, 5-6 drops hot sauce, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and 2 tbsps of half & half. I add the half & half to thin it out b/c I'm going to serve it over rice. Use the hot sauce and red pepper flakes to your liking. I add a little more b/c we like things spicy. If you don't then you can omit the red pepper. It should look a little like Thousand Island dressing:


Next add the oil to your wok and turn stove top to medium/high. Make sure the oil is hot before adding the shrimp. Then batter your shrimp and brown them in the oil. Remove to a plate covered with a paper towel. When all of your shrimp are browned and removed, reduce heat to medium and add your vegetables to the oil. I buy my stir fry veggies from Costco. Cook these for 8-10 minutes; tossing periodically to cover all of the veggies with oil. If you used frozen veggies you'll probably have a good bit of liquid so drain that out before adding your sauce.Grate 1/2 inch of ginger root into your veggies. I use a lot of ginger so I got a tip from either Alton Brown or Rachael Ray that you should peel and cut your ginger into 1/2 inch pieces. Then you can freeze it and it will last much longer!Next pour your sauce on top of the veggies. Run your knife through the peanuts and add on top. Slowly stir to incorporate all ingredients. Then add your shrimp and slowly stir again. The shrimp are delicate so be careful with them.

I think most cooking sites would rate this recipe as easy but I'm going to say intermediate due to the battering and frying. We RARELY fry in the Z household so it takes me some time to get it done. I usually just leave that part out of most recipes and saute the meat but the breading adds a little something something to this recipe. Here's the final product. Bon appetit!
xxoo,

Jaime

1 comment:


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10