Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What To Say To An Infertile

Setting the scene: You're at a baby shower and you turn to friend A and ask, "When are you guys going to have a baby." Friend A gives you a weary look and blindsides you with the Infertility Bomb. What do you say? In my experience most people say the wrong thing. That's why I feel compelled to educate as many people as possible about inappropriate and appropriate comments.

We Infertiles know that most inappropriate comments usually come from a good place. I'm sure that even I'm guilty of some of these inappropriate comments myself, pre-infertility of course.

First, let's start with the most obvious. The comment that invokes Fury from the depths of our souls... under NO circumstances should you utter the word RELAX... or any variation of the word. I know you have heard many stories of women who relaxed... stopped stressing... didn't think about it... and got pregnant. For most Infertiles relaxing does not make a baby. We have actual medical problems that cause our infertility. Also, I'm sure you have been really stressed about something and then someone told you to "relax". Did you relax? I'm thinking not.

The second inappropriate comment is a bit trickier. For newer Infertiles this offense is not as bad as it is for a veteran Infertile such as myself. -Please try to refrain from giving us medical advice. Do you know how many times I've been asked, "Have you tried an ovulation predictor?" Just once I want to say, "Oh my gosh! My team of highly skilled Reproductive Endocrinoglists never thought of that!" I do still welcome a suggestion of an herb or vitamin that might increase fertility but I guess that's because my doctors don't give me recommendations for those. Try to think of it this way... If I told you I was diabetic would you say, "Have you tried insulin? I've heard it's helpful." No because you would assume my doctors would have gone over that with me.

The third inappropriate comment is more about the way it is delivered rather than the actual comment. When an Infertile confides in you, try not to immediately tell her about your friend's cousin who went through the same thing. The problem here is that it seems like you are trying to disregard our issues. As if you are saying, "Well this random person I heard about got pregnant after having issues so I'm sure you will too. Problem solved." Ummm. Problem NOT solved. Just because someone else got pregnant after trying for three years doesn't mean that I will. But like I mentioned, it's all about the delivery. I am encouraged by success stories and I welcome them... just don't try to offer them as a solution. Encouragement only.

I know that it can be awkward for you Fertile Myrtles out there so here are a few suggestions of appropriate comments: "I am so sorry. I will pray for you." OR "I had no idea you were going through such a struggle. Is there anything I can do to help?" OR "I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to." It's that simple. You can also ask some questions, if you like, and gauge by her reaction how far to dive into her personal issues. The most important thing is to be sincere and thoughtful of her emotions.

I hope this helps the next time you meet one of my fellow Infertiles.

xxoo

9 comments:

  1. Very well put! Still praying for you and your snow babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been guilty of one or more of these. But not a day goes by that you, Mr. JZ, and those snowbabies are not in my prayers. I love you! Praying hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Jaime (and I love you!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN SISTA!!!!! That is what I have always thought myself and I am glad you are educating those that may mean well but yes it does hurt us Infertiles to no end to be constantly told to relax and have a glass of wine. Wow if wine did it no telling where our population growth would be haha. Since I am now 40 and have adopted our wonderful blessing 6 years ago I do not deal with it much anymore but I did for 7 LONG YEARS before adoption and many baby showers of hearing birthing stories. I just had to walk away at times. Now when I hear birthing stories I think wow adoption was great LOL!!!!
    Love ya girl and I am praying for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're praying for you and I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Jaime!!! I was just talking to someone yesterday about things people tell you when you're going through infertility that end up hurting you or making you angrier than before! One other comment I got a lot was, "I just 'know' you'll get pregnant, so don't worry about it." I always wanted to say back, "Well, what a relief!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't have typed it better myself. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lurker here, and this post was GREAT! More and more of my friends seem to be struggling with infertility and I never know what to say! In fact, YESTERDAY someone shared with me her struggle!! Now I know what to say and feel confidant that I'm not hurting the other person!

    Thanks!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shout it louder, Or go out and reach others who have not heard of it .it is real Dr climent HERBAL Center is really doing a great works within and outside just try it and you will testify just as i am testifying now, i have this infection that lead to womb blockage and there was no hope at all the hospital i went said nothing but that there on hope for 4 years that i have waited no child then i came across Dr climent HERBAL Center now and he is a wonderful native herbalist who told me he can do it but i was scared because i have not take anything drugs natural before but since i had no child i have to comply with the rules and regulation and now am carrying my child just try it and see your time to celebrate has come . you can reach Dr climent HERBAL Center via email : drclimentscott@gmail.com +2347036879479 +2347036879479 drclimentscott@gmail.com +2347036879479 +2347036879479

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10