Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reviews

Warning - Rant Alert - Scroll down to the picture if you're short on time!

I had my review at my new job today. I understand that they're necessary but I really DO NOT like them. Actually the part that I dislike the most is assigning a number value to my capabilities. A little background about me: You all know that I'm a number person. I graduated college summa cum laude so I was an all A's type of student. I mean if you're going to do something then do it right is my motto. So anything below an A is devastating. With reviews they typically assign you a number value that gives you room to grow; but I want to start at an A and work hard to keep it.

Moving on to my review... The discussion part of my review was great! She told me I was motivated, organized, respected, and a hard worker. She said that all of the managers feel they can come to me if they need to get a job done and get it done correctly. This all sounds good right?? Well the number did not agree. 3.4 out of 5. 3.4! If you put that on a 100 point scale it's only a 68! So my best work has a numerical value of 68 to my manager? But that doesn't make any sense because she was raving about my performance! I guess I should mention that a 3 means "meets expectations" so a 3 is supposed to be good. A 4 is "exceeds expectations" so my 3.4 means that I meet or exceed all expectations... But it's not a 5 "consistently exceeds expectations". This is going to haunt me. I don't get 68s. One specific skill was "Takes responsibility for mistakes." Her exact words were, "Well you rarely ever make a mistake but when you do you always own it." But then she gave me a 3! There is no possible way that I can improve so wouldn't you think I should get a 5? I am obsessing way too much about this but it's maddening! Maybe I should just ask the COO if my review next year can be without numbers!

On to something that doesn't stress me out:

We got a new kitchen table. It looks so much better than the other one.

xxoo

2 comments:

  1. Those reviews make me crazy too! They assign points to our reviews as well. The top number you can get is a 300. Anything between a 275 and 300 is an "exceptional performer." On my last review, I ended up with a 270! I am convinced that I ended up with something higher and my boss lowered some of my numbers so that I wouldn't end up in the exceptional range....where I deserve! It is ridiculous! I've been told that some managers rank their employees lower than they should so that they don't start slacking....but instead keep working hard to get a better score. If you feel like you are doing your best, I wouldn't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a 5 to me!! Love the new table...very swanky. :)

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10