Monday, October 22, 2012

Lucky Streak

Our lucky streak of no ear infections has come to an end.  I took lil big man to the doctor today.  Poor fella.  He started running a fever yesterday and I knew he didn't feel well when he crawled up on John's chest and fell asleep.  He also has goopy, crusty eyes.  It was so pitiful this morning when he was trying to open them.  Breaks my heart!

Sweetness

I had another first mom moment in the waiting room.  John has been at every one of his doctor's appointments.  He planned to go today so he had the diaper bag in his car, however, he couldn't make it.  I had to borrow a bib and diaper from daycare just in case we needed them.  So I was sitting in the waiting room trying to contain Christian to a small area to keep him away from all of the germs.  I picked him up and put him in my lap and had just gotten out the bib when he started projectile vomiting.  Keep in mind that with the changing weather this is one of the busiest times of the year for pediatrics.  The waiting room was chugging full.  All of these people turned and stared at me with a horrified expression.  I was holding a baby who was projectile vomiting into my hand that I was trying to catch with the bib.  The bib didn't stand a chance.  It was all over me, all over Christian, all over the floor, in my shoes... it was terrible.  And all of those people just stared.  Christian finally stopped and immediately started crying.  I was frozen.  I had nothing to wipe it off and we were dripping.  Finally this sweet lady got me some tissues.  I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth or anything but a few tissues wasn't going to put a dent in this.  Luckily they called our name at that point so I dropped the bib to the floor, used my few tissues, and calmly walked to the front desk to let them know "There was a vomit issue in the floor."  My personality profile is so true.  It says that I look calm, cool and collected even in the most trying circumstances.  While I remained poised and calm on the outside I was mortified on the inside.  I could feel the tears welling up.  Tears for my poor baby who is sick, tears for my embarrassment, tears for the fact that I had vomit in my shoes, tears for being alone... tears.  But I didn't let them surface.  I choked them back, put on my big girl pants, and stayed strong for my little man.  I also called my wonderful husband and told him that I knew he was busy but I needed him to bring me the diaper bag. 

The diagnosis:  Double ear infection.  So our lucky streak is over at 8 1/2 months.  I am thankful that he lasted this long.  I really didn't think that's what it was.  He gave no indication that his ears were hurting.  I assumed it was a sinus infection.  Poor buddy.  He got an antibiotic and will hopefully be good as new in a few days.  Now I'm going to bed and try to forget about my traumatic afternoon.

xxoo

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for that awful morning :( but I LOVE this pic of John and Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! That's an eventful morning! Hopefully this will clear up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost cried reading it. I can see you doing all those things and being so calm and collected.

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10