Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Eating my words

***Mom - you'll want to get Julie to read this one.

I've learned many things since I have become a mother.  I've discovered feelings and emotions that I didn't even know existed.  I now also know how annoying it is for other people to give you unsolicited advice on how to raise your child.  So I should offer my sister an apology for the times I shook my finger in judgement.  Mom's are just doing the best they can.  I know that now.

It was so easy for me to say, "You shouldn't be sleeping in the bed with him" or "just let him cry."  At the time that all made perfect sense.  But now, when he's crying at night and begging for his mommy, I want nothing more than to run in there and curl up with him for the night.  Every thing that could possibly be wrong runs through my mind.  Is he hot, cold, thirsty, or hungry?  Does he have a dirty diaper or a tummy ache?  Did he have a bad dream?  If I was there beside him I would know.  We're wired as mothers to protect our children.  Up until a few hundred years ago mothers always slept with their babies to keep them warm and protect them from danger.  It's a fairly recent notion that we should sleep separately. So my instincts scream at me to go to my baby.  But my logical mind (and John) bring me back to what we need to do to keep sanity in our house.  C had gotten into a routine of waking up every night at midnight.  It was very rare that he slept the whole night.  So... several months ago John let C cry it out.  I say John because I had to sleep in a separate room with the door shut and some loud white noise.  I couldn't hear him begging and crying for me.  John said he cried for over an hour the first night.  It was 45 min the second night and 30 minutes the third.  After that he has been fairly consistent with sleeping through the night.  At bedtime I still rock him until he gets sleepy.  He puts his sweet little hands together and we say our prayers. Then I stop rocking and hold him until he falls asleep.  75% of the time he wakes up when I place him in the crib and then he cries for about 5-10 minutes.  I hope that stops soon.

Apart from the crying at night he is a super happy toddler.  He rarely ever cries.  If he does it's because he's really hurt, really tired, or REALLY wants a cookie.  But most of the time he's a bubbly little thing.  He loves to climb up on the furniture, jump off and then cackle with laughter.  He also loves to be chased and play hide and seek.


Sweet boy
xxoo

1 comment:

  1. To My Sister: I am so glad this day has come... For many reasons. But the main reason is you can finally know (meaning you have a child of your own!) and know all of the things that come with being a mother. Those things you just can't imagine until you are a mother... not an Aunt, Cousin, or friend. All of those things you said you would never do, you do them and don't feel guilty about most of them.

    Being a Mom is the best thing that will happen to you in your lifetime. Time flies so enjoy every moment... Even the ones where you are giving in to video games, candy, Coke, sleeping in the same bed, rocking instead of crying it out, getting the complete set of Thomas the Trains or Legos, and so much more that is to come. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff!

    I guess I'll forgive you for all of those little comments and unforgiving looks you have given along the way ;) Love you! Kiss C for me!

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10