Friday, August 1, 2014

Sweetness

I don't know if I have adequately described the sweetness that is Christian.  He is so, so, so sweet.  That's what most people comment about when he meets them the first time.  When he started his new school the teachers said he is the sweetest little boy in the class.  When we go to Publix he knows he gets a free cookie.  We walk to the counter and he says, "May I have a cookie please?" He always smiles and looks at them when he asks.  Every. single. time. the attendant will comment about his sweetness.  Then when she hands him the cookie he'll say, "Oh! Thank you!" and as we're walking away he'll say, "Mommy, she gave me a cookie!"  He's so cute!  (This is not just a brag fest... I'm going somewhere with this so hang in there.)  Every day when I pick him up from school he'll say, "Mommy, did you go to work today to make some money?" I'll say yes and he'll say, "So you can buy me some pretzels?"  I'll say yes and he'll respond with the most genuine and sincere, "Oh! Thank you Mommy!"  Like I'm the best mom in the world because I go to work to make money and buy him pretzels.  So sweet!  He shares, he follows commands, he minds us most of the time.  When he wants the pretzels that made me mom of the year he'll walk to the cabinet, get a bowl, walk to the pantry, get the pretzels down, put a handful in the bowl, put the pretzels back up and sit down on the couch.  He's pretty amazing!

BUT (I'm getting to my point) - he does have his moments.  He is two and the tantrums have not skipped our house.  I don't know if it's because he is so sweet normally but his tantrums seem TERRIBLE!  I'm talking flinging himself on the floor, screaming, hitting, stomping, flailing, world is coming to an end... terrible.  And they last an absurd amount time.  He had one this week and it lasted for an hour and fifteen minutes.  There's nothing you can say or do to calm him down.  He usually spazzes until he pukes.  Then that snaps him out of it.  The one he had this week was the first time that he hasn't puked.  He coughed and choked a few times but he didn't actually throw up.  That must be why it lasted longer than usual.  I would love any advice from the mommas out there.  So far I usually just ignore it.  I'll walk over to him every 10-15 minutes, get on his level, and try to calmly talk to him.  When he starts hitting I try to put him in a time out but he is so irrational that I don't think he knows what it means.  John wants to spank but I am not ok with that.  I have spanked him a time or two but I feel like all he got out of it was that he can hit when he's frustrated.  From what I have read, tantrums seem to be the result of a lack of control.  (I hope he doesn't get my control issues.)  So I have been giving him ways to make his own decisions.  For example, "Do you want to floss or brush your teeth first?"  "Would you like grapes or a banana with dinner?" "Would you like to play ball or go to the pool?"  It does seem to be helping.  I know this is just a phase and he'll grow out of soon.  And, thankfully, his tantrums are few and far between.  I just need an extra dose of patience when they do happen!
He posed like this himself.  He must have seen a picture of someone posing like this.  Too cute!

Swimming with Emma Catherine

No fear!

Final update: Mark your calendars Canadian friends and family!!  We're coming your way on Christmas Day!! :)

xxoo

1 comment:

  1. I have NEVER seen that sweet boy throw a tanturm.
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10