Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What Can You Do?

With Thanksgiving just around the corner I want to express how very thankful I am for all of my wonderful family and friends.  You guys make me want to be a better a person. 

I read a story a couple of months ago that has had such an impact on me.  An impact that is hard to describe.  I cried myself to sleep after reading it.  (Ugly, uncontrollable crying.) I sporadically cried throughout the next few days as my heart broke with his; I could hear his heartbreak ringing in my ears.  You see, it was about a boy he grew up in the foster system.  He would go to events to meet families looking for a child to adopt.  He would carry his report card proudly hoping that he could prove his worth to a family.  He would go back to his foster family’s house and wait, hoping that he would get a call that someone wanted him.  That child was never adopted and never got to experience the love of parents.  That child took the wrong the path and his life ended too early at 18.  As a nation we failed him.  As Christians we failed him. 

 I typically try not to read these stories, as if not reading them means they’re not real.  I buried my head in the sand and convinced myself that these children are someone else’s responsibility.  I’m too busy, too tired, too this and that.  I made up excuses.  But recently I feel God moving me in this direction.  I started reading the articles, I started donating to group homes, and most recently, I have started volunteering to help foster parents.  I know what I’m supposed to do.  I think that’s why this story hit me so hard.  Why am I waiting?  I know what I’m called to do.  I have such guilt for putting it on hold.  I know that when I do finally foster and adopt an older child that I will wish that I had done it sooner.  It will be agony to know that I could have spared that child some pain and given him/her love and security even one day sooner.  However, I feel like my heart is careening down this path and my mind needs some time to catch up.  My practical side needs a minute. So I wait.  But I now know that there is something I can do while I’m waiting.  It is ABSOLUTELY my responsibility to help these children and I won’t hide from that anymore.  I’m following the below hierarchy and will hopefully make it to the top! 

 

ADOPT
IF YOU CAN'T ADOPT
FOSTER
IF YOU CAN'T FOSTER
MENTOR
IF YOU CAN'T MENTOR
VOLUNTEER
IF YOU CAN'T VOLUNTEER
DONATE
IF YOU CAN'T DONATE
PRAY

 

What can you do?

Also, please pray for John and Christian as they follow me on this journey.  Hopefully it will be a rewarding and blessed experience for everyone!

xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment


Free Counters from SimpleCount.com

Viewers since 2/12/10